Aasif Mandvi interviews Fox Business commentator, Todd Wilemon.
Basically I have been blessed to be close to people who work in hiring and were very, very willing to pass along their knowledge and tips and since a lot of people I know on here seem mystified by these things, I will share my vast wealth of knowledge with you*
*Some of this knowledge might be contradicted by specifics from your own field. If you’re a chemical engineer some of these things might not apply and that’s fine. This is just ~*widely applicable*~ stuff.
Cover letters are the stupidest part of a job application. The cover letter is really only there to show two things: 1) That you have a command of language that is both accurate and appropriate; 2) you read the job listing.
- Your cover letter should be short. The hirer has likely read hundreds that day, and by read, I mean “skimmed over lightly.” You don’t need to fill up an entire page.
- It should only contain pertinent information. Do not try to be cutesy or “creative” unless the job listing SPECIFICALLY asks for that. Trust me, I’ve had to hire people. Those people’s letters got passed around for mocking. DO NOT BE THAT PERSON.
- It should speak to the job listing, but only enough that it shows that you read it. If the job listing emphasizes that they’re looking for somebody who is willing to work odd hours, throw in a line that in your past experience you have been noted for being flexible with time. It doesn’t need a Faulkner-length explanation.
- If you know the name of the person to whom the letter is addressed, address it to them. If you it is a blind application, you don’t need to put “To Whom It May Concern” or “Dear Sir/Madam;” just don’t say anything.
- Stop freaking out about it. Seriously, your CL is not nearly as scary as you think it is. If you want to see a screenshot if an example cover letter that is a “catch all,” click here. I just pulled this out of my ass for a fictional job/person.
Your resume is not an “employment record.” Unless you have no experience, it should only list the things that are the most impressive or demonstrate your abilities the clearest.
- If you have an “Objective” on your resume, take it off. All of the employers I know said, “We KNOW your objective—you want the job! It just takes up space.”
- Always make sure that your resume is formatted cleanly and with maximum readability in mind. I strongly, strongly suggest visiting this link to see how to format your resume best. Visual cleanliness matters.
- Your resume should be ONE page. Just one. Not two or more.
- You can’t lie on your resume; you can learn how to make things sound more impressive. If you worked at a hair salon cleaning up, don’t say “Swept floors.” Instead write, “Contributed to the efficiency and cleanliness of the salon by sweeping floors.” It sounds like bullshit to you, but to a prospective employer, it sounds like you’re happy being part of a team. Try to describe what you did in at least 7 words.
- You can divide your resume if you want to highlight certain experiences over others. Making two sections such as “Relevant Experience” and “Other Experience” breaks it up, allows the reader to skip around, and let’s you highlight what you want to highlight.
- Learn to weed things out. Unless you can make it look like it taught you something huge, don’t waste the space. At the same time, if a job sucked but you can make it appear like it really impacted you, use it. This is not the truth about how you felt about that last job. This is you advertising yourself. You’re trying to get a job, not a Nobel Prize for emotional honesty.Now, what about the Skills section? You should have one, but as one friend said, “Nobody gives a shit if you went to France and had a great time. What we care about is if you’re proficient in French.” That should be your metric for things:
- Only list experiences that would aid you in this job or a similar one—not things that were “cool.” This is the place for things that you’ve learned but perhaps can’t tie to a job. Examples: foreign language skills, clerical training, courses/certifications, etc.
- List all of the software that you know. Even if it doesn’t seem relevant to that job, weird things happen. List any MS Office/equivalent software, if you are familiar with both Mac and PC, any graphics editing software you know…
- SOCIAL MEDIA IS A THING THAT YOU SHOULD DEFINITELY MAKE KNOWN. To people ~30 and under, social media seems like a given. But to many employers, it’s a mystical world filled with equal amounts of marketing opportunities and terror. Make it clear what social networking sites you know how to use—obviously Facebook and Twitter, but also LinkedIn, Pinterest, Tumblr, etc.
Applying to Jobs/Interviewing
Unfortunately, I can give you less specific advice here because we are not likely working in the same field—but here are just some general things to file away:
- If there’s a job listing that you feel qualified for but the listing says it wants more years of experience than you have, apply anyway. Those employers are unlikely to find that unicorn that has 4+ years of experience and is willing to work basically minimum wage. While more experience is a plus, they really just want somebody who can do the job. When it comes to applying to jobs, you really have nothing to lose by applying to anything that tickles your fancy.
- Interviewing is an entire post unto itself, but I’ll give you the tips that I’ve been given by my people: be calm, be on time, and ask good questions. Always have some questions lined up, even if you already know the answer. “What are you looking for in the right candidate?” is a good example, or “Are there opportunities for growth within the company?” etc.
Accepting a Job
So you got a job offer; exciting! Before you immediately accept, really vet the place to make sure it’s somewhere you’d like to work. Months of unemployment make you desperate, but sometimes jumping at the first opportunity it isn’t worth it. THIS HAPPENED TO ME, LEARN FROM MY MISTAKES.
Things you should think about:
- Do I know ALL things about the job, including: what I will be paid/how often, if there are benefits and when I get them, what hours I am working, how overtime is handled, how sick time is handled, etc. These are all incredibly important to know and if your employer is legitimate they will welcome you asking them.
- Is the distance commutable, or is it too far from home? (Think about how transit/gasoline will cut into your paycheck.)
- Does the job give me the time necessary to do other important things?
- Does the office environment seem like one I can spend at least six months in? (Every month at a bad job feels like an eternity—if you have bad feelings, trust them.)
- Does the job offer me anything besides a paycheck? Will I be learning any skills at this job or making important connections that can help me down the road?IMPORTANT: If an employer tries to give you a W-9 tax form upon your hiring and you are NOT a freelancer (independent contractor), RUN. This is tax fraud and is very messy and is entirely there to screw you. Become familiar with the legal definition of a freelancer so you know if you’re walking into a shady place. It happens more than you’d think, and it sucks, and is weird.If you have any questions, feel free to send me a message or whatever, I’ll gladly answer to the best of my ability! GO GET ‘EM.
Vital information for your everyday life.
"Also known as the ghost plant, Indian pipe, or corpse plant.
Unlike most plants, it is white and does not contain chlorophyll. Instead of generating energy from sunlight, it is parasitic, more specifically a myco-heterotroph. Its hosts are certain fungi that are mycorrhizal with trees, meaning it ultimately gets its energy from photosynthetic trees. Since it is not dependent on sunlight to grow, it can grow in very dark environments as in the understory of dense forest. It is often associated with beech trees.
The complex relationship that allows this plant to grow also makes propagation difficult.
The plant is sometimes completely white but commonly has black flecks and a pale pink coloration. Rare variants may have a deep red color.”
//Absurdly helpful for people writing royal characters and/or characters who interact with royalty and members of the nobility.
Update: Cloud tutorial is up! :D
I was testing out some cloud brushes I made in Photoshop last night and went little crazy with them. Each drawing was done under an hour. I will be making a tutorial plus download to the brushes after I finish the next Fisheye Placebo strip :)
A lovely fuck-ton of animal paw references (per request).
the worst way for friendships to end is for literally nothing to go wrong, you just stop talking. they stop messaging you to see how youre doing and you get sick of being the first one to initiate conversation so you just let the friendship go and wonder how that person is doing and never hear from them again
I hate this shit and this why I don’t like texting first
So, I acknowledge that the internet is one of the largest ways to make friends, and is in fact becoming a space where the majority of a person’s friendships are internet-based. Most of my closest friends I met off the internet.
But stop using your friends as crutches for your insecurity and inability to validate your own self-worth.
FRIENDSHIPS ARE NOT DETERMINED BY HOW MUCH TIME YOU DO OR DO NOT SPEND WITH THAT PERSON.
I have friends on this tumblr RIGHT NOW who I rarely speak to now a days, but they are my friends and I love them and if someone fucked with them I would be on that ass in a heartbeat. I love them for who they are and I treasure and value the times we’ve spent together. But people do drift apart for whatever reason. Not always but it does happen and that is not a bad thing NOR IS IT A FAILURE ON YOUR PART AS A FRIEND. STOP MAKING THINGS IN THEIR LIFE ABOUT YOU.
I have friends from waaaay back in my early RP days, twelve or thirteen years ago, that I have not spoken to in years. But I can promise you if we did have a chat, it’d be as if we had just spoken yesterday. Because friendships are about how you feel about one another, not about how much you jabber at each other.
If your automatic assumption that a friend no longer likes you because you aren’t talking as much as you used to, that is you pushing your negative thoughts on their actions. There could be any number of reasons why friends just sort of drift apart, but it’s only the end of a friendship if you allow it to be.
If you have so little faith in people caring about you, if you need constant validation in order to feel like you even have a friendship, no shit you’re going to feel miserable. If you’re going to have such strict requirements for maintaining a friendship, you are going to be very unhappy, because drifting apart just happens and it’s rarely ever because of a fault on your end.
Seriously internet, stop playing these “Well let’s see how long it takes them to talk to me and if they don’t then they obviously don’t care” games on people. Stop testing your friendships and believe in them and in your own self-worth. The bonds of friendship go beyond the physical and beyond constant contact and attention. It is and should be something much deeper, and if you can’t see that because you’re playing psychic chicken with them then I’m sorry.
The reason I say this is because I have been blindsided on multiple occasions this year by this same shit, and I lost three friends because of it. I was tested in order to ‘prove’ that I cared about them and that’s awful. Don’t do that to people. And since I had no idea what was going on, nor did I know there was some sort of hidden meaning behind their actions, I did not react the way they wanted. Suddenly I’m being hit by long winded messages about how they’ve been feeling miserable for months on end while I thought everything was fine. They’d built up all of these negative thoughts surrounding what they believed were the inspiration behind my actions and none of them were true. I was lost and really frustrated because I can’t deal with something if I don’t even know what’s wrong until it’s blowing up in my face. That these people believed I should know, or that it was so obvious, is ridiculous. It’s obvious to them because they’re the ones stewing in their negative emotions and convincing themselves that’s the reality.
Don’t get it twisted, I’ve been on the other side of the fence, and almost lost my childhood best friend because of it. Because I wanted her to validate my existence and soothe my fears. Because I had grown up believing that people just tolerated me, and that they were my friends out of pity (yes, this is something I was told and it stuck with me for a long time). But do you see a trend? Me. My. I wanted. I needed. Where in there was consideration for my friend? Her life and what she was going through? Her own doubts and insecurities? How could I call myself her friend if all I cared about was what I wanted her to bring to me?
So you want to make an OC?: A Masterpost of Ways to Create, Develop, and Make Good OCs!
i made this masterpost in hopes that it helps you in making your own OCs ah;; it can also apply to developing RP characters i suppose! if you’d like to add more resources then go for it sugar pea (´ヮ`)!
How to Write Better OCs:
- basic tips on how to make your oc even better
- tragic backstory? learn how to write one/make yours great
- writing specific characters
- a wordier, great guide on how to develop your character
- kick out those vague descriptions and make them AWESOME
- how to actually make an OC
- Q&A (to develop characters)
- more Q&As
- giving your character a backstory
- how to write an attractive character
- adding more racial diversity
- avoiding tokenism, AKA, how to add diversity to your cast not just because you “need” it
- writing sexuality and gender expression (doesnt include non binary, if you have a good ref to that, please add on!)
- masterpost on writing more diversity into your story
- cultures of the world
- guides to drawing different ethnicities (not just a great art reference, but also really helpful in appearance descriptions!)
Mary Sue/Gary Stu
- Test to see if your character is a Sue
- Explains subdivisions of Sues/Stus
- Powerful Characters Don’t Have to Be Sues
- villain generator
- need an evil sounding name for your evil character? bam
- villain archetypes
- what’s your villain’s motive for being a villain?
- character perceptions (What your character thinks of themselves and what others think of them)
- how to write strong relationships between two characters
- 8 ways to write better characters and develop their relationships with others
- OCxLove Interest Handbook
- develop your couple with good ol’ Q&A!
- how to write realistic relationships
- how to write relatives for your characters (this is more OC related to a canon character, but will help in writing family members in general)
- 12 common archetypes
- 8 archetypes for male/female characters
- female archetypes (goes pretty indepth from two main categories)
- a list of archetypes
- tips for better design
- basic appearance generator
- pinterest board for character design (includes NSFW and images of skeletons/exposed muscle (?) so tread carefully!)
- clothing ref masterpost
- give your character better powers
- a list of professions
- proactive vs reactive characters
- positive and negative traits
- interest generator
- skills generator
- motivation generator
- 123 ideas for character flaws
- list of phobias
again, this is to help inspire you or help establish your OCs! i hope you get a lot of info and help from this ahh ( ´ ▽ ` )ﾉ
the worst type of procrastination is the one where you’re totally insistent that you’re going to be productive, so you spend hours on tumblr, but refuse to catch up on tv shows or anything because “i’m going to work in like a second”
Lightning was lost in the darkness of chaos, and at her call, Hope appeared bringing light to her and saving her from it… Even after having his strings with the God of Light Bhunivelze severed, he still is the bringer of light. Also, bhunivelze went way less shiny (and way less vocal) after Hope was set free… Makes me wonder which one actually holds the power after all?
But it doesn’t matter. all that matters is what they went through and did for each other. They both went way beyond their own humanity for each other.
The thing is…
even if my OTP never becomes canon, I will still ship it.
even if you write out a dissertation explaining why my OTP will never become canon, I will still ship it.
even if the creator issued a statement tomorrow that said my OTP will never become canon, I will still ship it.
even if no one else in the universe ships my OTP, I will still ship it.
You wanna know why? Because I fucking love my OTP. And nothing will change that.
Disabled Young Adult Seeking Help!
I’m 23, disabled, homeless, and I desperately need help to pay for my medication that is running out this week.My name’s Shayne (Shay). I’m trans*/non-binary, disabled, have zero income/financial support, a service animal, and I have no place to live right now.
I suffer from a number of disorders and syndromes including:
• Ehler-danlos syndrome
• cold urticaria
• adrenal insufficiency
• Hashimoto’s thyroiditis
• postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome
• poly cystic ovarian syndrome
• neuropathy nos
• major depressive disorder
I’m largely immobile and cannot work. Neither one of my biological family’s homes are a safe place for me to go. This is for a multitude of reasons.
I was promised to receive my share of an apartment deposit (total was $800) from my ex. Along with the payment for a parking ticket ($100) on my father’s car that they had gotten.
I was kind enough to understand financial stress and allow spread out payments.
When I had found out that they had been lying/cheating all 2.3 years we’d been together, they decided that “I didn’t deserve it anymore.” In addition to losing that money, I lost them and their family as my only support system.
I have no money apart from some pocket change. I’m currently living in a motel paid for by Salvation Army until Tuesday morning, and after that my service cat and I only have my car to live in.
Being in Wisconsin and sleeping in my car is dangerous because of the cold. Worse yet, something in my car is misfiring, meaning that until I can get it fixed with an electrical tuneup ($300 estimated), it’s practically useless and even more dangerous to live in.
To give you an idea of my expenses: my anxiety meds cost $1 flat through DHS, which is a blessing, but my pain medication is extremely important for me to have and runs around $89. My total cost of medications per month is around $175 and total cost of living is about $300, not including rent or personal items.
I’m asking Tumblr for help because I don’t know what to do until my disability determination is made, and that could take a very long time.
I thankfully have food stamps, but I need to find a way to keep paying for a place to stay that’s heated and safe, and most importantly, my medication. These past months have been extremely difficult and I need help.
I have a few friends from college willing to take my service animal and I in, but this would require my car fixed and all medications sorted out as they live across the country.
I’m willing to show my medical record, prove of income, anything to prove that this is genuine.
If you’re able to donate to help me, please, please message me.
I can now take PayPal donations at:
Any help is appreciated so much and once I am able to feel like I am in a safe and healthy environment; I am confident that I can win the fight against these illnesses. I promise that whatever happens; I will spend my time creating some sort of non-profit with the goal of helping young adults in similar situations.
Thank you again,
I’m running our of meds starting the day after tomorrow. Please anyone….
So I’m not sure what to call this
But I figured I’d at least try to impart my knowledge of (hank hill voice) weapons and weapon accessories.
If you like this, tell me, and I might do another tutorial some time!